As Christians, we want to please the Lord and be good witnesses to others in appearance and behavior. Students must dress modestly and attractively without drawing undue or excessive attention to the wearer. The administration reserves the right to determine that which attracts “undue or excessive attention to the wearer,” and is considered unacceptable.
This dress code is not all-inclusive; any situation not specifically covered herein will be resolved by the administration in accordance with the general intent and purpose of the code.
1. Students are required to wear approved Joshua Springs style uniforms. Options include: Solid color polo shirts or Joshua Springs branded T-shirts. The shirt must be in good condition i.e. clean, not extremely faded, no holes, no stains, not too big or too small. Families are allowed to purchase other brand ‘school uniform’ polos, pants, shorts, skorts, jumpers and skirts from the uniform section of retail stores. Skinny or denim pants are not permitted.
2. Students must wear uniforms on campus during school hours.
3. Students must wear the uniform color bottoms designated for their grade level: elementary- navy or khaki bottoms; secondary-black, navy, or khaki.
4. Students must wear the appropriate size and fit of garments. Clothing must not be too baggy or too tight. Pants need to be worn at the waist. If you are unsure if pants are too tight, try the ‘coin test’. Drop a coin from the waist, and it should travel through the pant leg and fall to the floor without assistance. Dresses and skirts must be no shorter than 2 inches above the knee.
5. Solid color tights (no lace) may be worn under skirts/jumpers. Knee-high socks are also permitted. Shorts may be worn under skirts as long as they do not show beneath the hemline. (No sweat pants, pajama bottoms or under-armour pants are permitted).
6. Long sleeve shirts UNDER uniform shirts are permitted as needed in cold weather. Additionally, students may wear a flannel or long-sleeve button down shirt as a light jacket, along with coats/jackets in cool weather. Uniform shirt must show.
7. PE/athletic clothing for secondary students should be loosely fitting on both top/ bottom, and still meet the length requirements of the dress code.
8. Students must wear shoes at all times. Flip flops, shower shoes, bedroom slippers, etc., are not allowed on campus. Athletic shoes must be worn for P.E. class.
9. To ensure safety when playing on the playground, elementary students should not wear shoes with heels. Sandals for elementary students should have heel straps.
Dress Code for School Activities:
The dress code applies to students on campus before or after school hours and to all school activities, on or
off campus, wherever students represent Joshua Springs (sports events, school plays, awards banquets,
1. Tops must be long enough to cover the stomach when arms are raised above the head.
2. Sleeveless tops, tank tops, tube tops, excessively tight tops, and spaghetti straps are prohibited, as are garments that are made of thin or clinging fabric.
3. Garments that expose cleavage or undergarments are prohibited.
4. If a student dresses in layers that conceal prohibited clothing, the prohibited features of the garment must remain concealed. For example: if an unbuttoned blouse is worn over a spaghetti strap top, the spaghetti straps must remain concealed.
5. Dresses must be modest: no strapless, spaghetti strap, tight material, high slits, etc.
6. T-shirt messages must not be offensive, anti-Christian, or of secular bands or entertainers.
7. At awards events, boys must wear dress slacks with shirt and tie. No blue jeans or shorts. Girls’ dresses must be modest and meet dress code. Students in violation may not receive awards publicly.
8. All athletes will wear professional attire when traveling to and from “away” games.
Other Items to Note:
1. Shorts must be no shorter than 4 inches above the knee.
2. Tattoos should not be exposed and jewelry should be removed from pierced body parts (other than female earrings).
3. Inappropriate accessories such as wallet chains, dog collars, studded gloves, etc. are prohibited.
4. Students may dye their hair if the coloring is subtle and close to the student’s natural color. Unusual hairstyles that draw attention to the wearer are prohibited.
5. Hats and hoodies should not be worn inside the classroom.
6. Skulls, Halloween images, and the brands: Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch are prohibited.